Sugar Excess Diabetes Poem

Sugar excess

Pressure builds, inside your brain
Any more, you'll go insane
You feel it grow, getting worse
Want a doctor, or maybe a nurse
Levels too high, sugar excess
Head hurting bad, in such distress
Chocolate bar, but just the one
Tasted great, that part was fun
I think back, when I was young
So many sweets, passed my tongue
Now I'm older, my past I regret
Oh why diabetes, did I now get!
Dean Thorpe
Jelly Babies, one of my favourite sweets!!!

About this poem

In January 2005 the doctors found out what was causing some of the health problems I had been having for a couple of years, I have type 2 diabetes.

As a person who had always had a very healthy appetite I found it quite a struggle at first to be diabetic.

I hated (and still do hate) salad and a lot of vegetables (I only like peas, carrots and cauliflower), but loved KFC, burgers, pizza etc.

These days I try to be careful and keep my blood sugar around 10-15, a little better than the 26 it was when first tested for diabetes. Much higher or lower than 10 and I start getting headaches and feeling almost drunk or drugged!

I am still bad sometimes, I still have KFC occasionally, but probably once a fortnight, rather than 2 or 3 times a week and when I do I never eat anywhere near as much as I used to. Going out for Chinese is something I now only do about once every six months, because it really messes up my sugar levels every time and that makes me feel very ill, but worth it!

One thing I really do miss is Kebabs, I really did love my Doner Kebabs, but on the 2 occasions I have had them since becoming diabetic I have felt really bad afterwards, so I guess that's it for them! (Update: after a few more painful experiments, it seems it's the yummy garlic sauce that was affecting me the most.)

On the bright side I have lost about a few stone since becoming diabetic!!! The sad thing is the weight loss seems to have stopped there. It is hard when due to my other health problems I have a lot of trouble exercising.

One thing I really find strange is how you spend 95% of your time avoiding sugar, then the other 5% when your sugar levels get low stuffing your face with sweet things!


Summary
  1. Her notepad poems: Introduction
  2. Her notepad poems: Being free to be me
  3. Her notepad poems: Big metal box
  4. Her notepad poems: Blue lights in the mirror
  5. Her notepad poems: Christmas thoughts
  6. Her notepad poems: Cold and grey in the UK
  7. Her notepad poems: Colours of my life
  8. Her notepad poems: Computers are a pain
  9. Her notepad poems: Concept of happiness
  10. Her notepad poems: Crowds all around me
  11. Her notepad poems: Eh Ju Kay Shon
  12. Her notepad poems: Evil people around us
  13. Her notepad poems: Exploring the woods
  14. Her notepad poems: Feel the pain
  15. Her notepad poems: Feeling alone
  16. Her notepad poems: Fluffy little tails
  17. Her notepad poems: Fluidity / genderfluid
  18. Her notepad poems: Free school parking
  19. Her notepad poems: Frozen moment in time
  20. Her notepad poems: Gay Pride
  21. Her notepad poems: Going to Disneyland Paris
  22. Her notepad poems: Hand beside me
  23. Her notepad poems: I hate you
  24. Her notepad poems: Illusion of life
  25. Her notepad poems: Just another dumb animal
  26. Her notepad poems: Life of a photographer
  27. Her notepad poems: Life of a snowflake
  28. Her notepad poems: Light from another world
  29. Her notepad poems: Lurking in the darkness
  30. Her notepad poems: Maybe I am going mad
  31. Her notepad poems: Mindfulness
  32. Her notepad poems: My first true love
  33. Her notepad poems: Normality
  34. Her notepad poems: Not going mad this Christmas
  35. Her notepad poems: Opening my mind
  36. Her notepad poems: Out there
  37. Her notepad poems: Passion or prayer
  38. Her notepad poems: Perfect man
  39. Her notepad poems: Psyonic dreams
  40. Her notepad poems: Raindrops on the window
  41. Her notepad poems: Red is the colour of blood
  42. Her notepad poems: Roller coaster rider
  43. Her notepad poems: Second by second
  44. Her notepad poems: Side effect of Doctors
  45. Her notepad poems: Storm
  46. Her notepad poems: Strange creatures
  47. Her notepad poems: Stranger beside me
  48. Her notepad poems: Sugar excess
  49. Her notepad poems: Tick and the tock
  50. Her notepad poems: Trapped in the Summer
  51. Her notepad poems: Trust in terror media
  52. Her notepad poems: Watching death poem
  53. Her notepad poems: Westwood House
  54. Her notepad poems: When I grow up
  55. Her notepad poems: When munchies attack
  56. Her notepad poems: Why I go to Pride
  57. Her notepad poems: Why me