Hastings Pier Commemorative Victorian Stroll
Photos of Victorian and Steampunk people on Hastings Pier
These are my photos of the Hastings Pier Commemorative Victorian Stroll held of the 5th of June 2016. It was a great event with people either dressed in traditional Victorian style clothes or more steampunk versions of them, but everybody looked great!!! Hastings Pier had been shut for six years after a fire in 2010 sadly destroyed most of the pier, which had already been closed since 2008. Hastings pier first opened in 1872, so some local people, led by Claire Cantrell decided to have a nice group stroll along the pier to try to capture the original Victorian spirit.
Location of Hastings Pier
History of Hastings Pier
The pier was opened on 5 August 1872 by the then Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, Earl of Granville. It was designed by Eugenius Birch, who also designed the West Pier, Brighton and Eastbourne Pier, both west of Hastings, and it is often seen as an innovative design considering the technical constraints of the late Victorian period. The pier was "constructed by a local company", while the contractors were the firm R Laidlaw & Son, Glasgow. 600 guests sat down to lunch on the pier immediately following the opening ceremony, and included the local member of parliament Thomas Brassey and Egyptian princes.
The original 2,000 seater pavilion was destroyed by fire in 1917. This was eventually replaced in 1922 and played host in the 1960s and the 1970s to notable artists such as The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Genesis, Tom Jones, Ten Years After, and Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett played his last ever show with the band here on 20 January 1968.
During the 1930s, the pavilion extension buildings received an art deco facelift and a theatre rebuild. This was to be its prime era. More renovation followed its temporary closure during WWII and in 1966 it housed the Hastings Embroidery during the 900th anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Hastings.
In 1966 the Hastings Embroidery was displayed in the white domed structure for the 900th anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Hastings.
Elements of the pier became listed in 1976 and subsequently changed hands on a regular basis with erratic structural renovation input from its subsequent owners.
In 1990 it suffered considerable storm damage, requiring a £1 million refurbishment.
Text from: Wikipedia